Chickpea, Potato and Cauliflower CurrySarah | 15.04.2008 | 04:29:17 | Views: 1670
There's a huge list of ingredients to this curry, but it's not as hard as it sounds - and it tastes great!
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (sweet or mild)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine (about 2 cups)
- 300 grams potatoes and/or sweet potato, scrubbed and cut into small pieces (about 2 cups)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 - 1 1/2 serrano chiles, ribs, seeds, and flesh minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 medium head cauliflower, trimmed, cored, and cut into 2 cm florets (about 4 cups)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
1. Toast curry powder and garam masala in small skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until spices darken slightly and become fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Remove spices from skillet and set aside.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering.
4. Add onions and potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized and potatoes are golden brown on edges, about 10 minutes. (Reduce heat to medium if onions darken too quickly.)
5. Reduce heat to medium.
6. Clear centre of pan and add remaining tablespoon oil, garlic, ginger, chile, and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
7. Add toasted spices and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute longer. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring constantly, until spices coat florets, about 2 minutes longer.
8. Add tomatoes, water, chickpeas, and 1 teaspoon salt; increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to boil, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.
9. Cover and reduce heat to medium.
10. Simmer briskly, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Stir in peas and cream or coconut milk; continue to cook until heated through, about 2 minutes longer.
12. Adjust seasoning with salt and serve immediately with rice or cous cous.
(Published in sections: Recipes :: )