This year we planted 3 zucchini seedlings in our vegie garden and they grew massive and we have zucchinis coming out of our ears!They were easy plants to grow, minimal maintenance and generous with their fruit which meant that we did not mind sharing some with the possums and birds. We are not that keen on eating zucchinis, but this is the best recipe ever for enjoying zucchinis. It is adapted from The Vegetarian Book by Charmaine Solomon, which my mum and sister got me when I first moved out of home and i decided to become vegetarian.
- 500g zucchini
- 2 tblsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp nigella (onion) seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chilli, seeded and sliced (or 1/2 tsp dry chilli)
- Grate Zucchini coarsely into a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt, mix well and set aside for 30 minutes. Squeeze all the liquid out with both hands. You can use this again for a soup or vegetable gravy.
- Heat oil in wok/frying pan and seeds until fragrant.
- Add onions and chilli and cook until onion is soft and golden.
- Mix in grated zucchini and stir over medium high heat until almost all liquid evaporates.
This is usually served with yoghurt as an accompaniment to a curry, but now that i am vegan and also for fasting purposes, we serve it with a tahini cream (see list of recipes)
(Published in sections: Recipes :: )