- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1/4 cup finely ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine, melted
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 t. white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup chopped apple pieces
- 1 1/2 cup coarsely grated apple
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Lightly oil and flour muffin tins
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the finely ground flax seeds with the water. Let stand for 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add the melted margarine, brown sugar, and vinegar, and whisk until well combined. Add the wet ingredients and the apple pieces and grated apple to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake until a knife inserted into the centre emerges clean, about 20 minutes.
Ice with margarine, brown sugar and icing sugar whipped together.
(Published in sections: Recipes :: )